How To Create Mental Clarity Fast
13 years ago I completed my first yoga teacher training. It was in that setting that I came to understand the powerful relationship between the quality of our breath and the quality of our mind.
Yoga teaches, that as the breath flows, the mind goes.
If our breath is fast and choppy our mind can feel uprooted and scattered.
However, when our breath is smooth and long our mind has the potential to feel grounded and stable. It is in this luminous and balanced state that our inner light is set free to shine.
The miraculous thing is that our body-mind system is always seeking balance -- even when we aren't consciously aware of it -- so we can experience more joy and more love.
Our body, mind and heart are hardwired to heal.
At any given moment we breathe predominantly through one nostril. It is estimated that every 90 - 150 minutes the dominant nostril alternates.
Physically, this process helps bring balance to our nervous system, brain and mood -- and serves to regulate our sense of smell -- therefore working to support our entire endocrine system.
Energetically, when our left nostril dominates, our feminine (or moon) energy is stimulated and this activates qualities such as calming, cooling, receptivity, empathy and sensitivity.
When the right side dominates our more masculine (or sun) energy is stimulated and this activates qualities such as alertness, concentration, vigor and will power.
We need this energetic balance; and our body-mind-heart system is built in with this knowing. Life is magical.
One way to engage and work with this sophisticated process is through a beautiful breathing practice called dominant nostril breathing. It can create mental balance fast and easily.
If you are familiar with alternate nostril breathing, this practice is slightly different. There is no use of the hands to close off one nostril.
How it works: (a recorded guided version follows the written instructions)
- Sit comfortably with your spine straight.
- Close your eyes gently and keep them closed throughout the breath practice.
- Take 3 deep breaths to center yourself and connect with your breath.
- Then, allow your breath to find its natural rythm.
- Simply observe your breath coming in and out of the nostrils
- Bring your attention more closely to your nostrils and notice which nostril is more dominant. Which nostril can you feel more air coming in and out through?
- Spend a minute or so feeling the breath coming in and out through this dominant nostril.
- Then consciously switch the dominance to the other nostril. Feel the air coming all the way up into the nostril and out. Stay here about a minute or so.
- Switch the dominant nostril again.
- Do this as long as you need, switching every 30-60 seconds until you begin to feel mental balance and ease come over your body and mind.
Press Play to Listen and Download A Free Guided Versoin Here:
This is such a powerful practice that it can change our entire mood and bring peace and harmony in as little as 5 minutes.
I hope this serves you as much as it does me. Please share this post with anyone you think it can help.
I'd love to hear from YOU. Please feel free to leave a comment.
Curious How Life Coaching with Joy can help YOU Break-Free from anxiety, fear or overwhelm and breakthrough to experience more happiness, confidence, clarity and peace of mind. Love Your Life!
If you liked this meditation you might also like last week's FREE guided meditations for FORGIVENESS. Forgivness sets us free. It is about us, not the other person.